Tuesday, January 24, 2012

31 Days to Clean Review ~ Day 2



I have often thought of my home (not the house itself) as a living breathing thing. The space where we are together as a family has a life and functions much like a body with us its members and prayerfully, Jesus its heart.

I have always focused more on the people than the dwelling and I believe that is as it should be. However, it is an unavoidable truth that the dwelling will affect its occupants.

Mary Challenge: Start looking at your domain as something to make come alive! What can you do today to bring life to your home, your children, your husband, and your sphere of influence?

On a very practical level, I can open window blinds and doors, let the light in. I can bring plants indoors. Plants naturally filter the air and can help eliminate toxins given off by our furniture and flooring thus, improving the mood of all in the house.

I can add scripture to every room of my house. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. I have had a cabinet of scripture plaques for some time. A big thank you to my husband for hanging them. This also decluttered that cabinet :)

Martha Challenge: Kitchen – Clean out and scrub down the refrigerator and freezer. Try using 2 tablespoons of baking soda per 1 quart hot water to wash interiors.

Here we go: This one is pretty self explanatory – clean out the fridge and freezer.

Cleaning out the fridge is also a good time to eliminate some of those processed foods that have crept in over time. As we are also revamping our diet, this is the perfect time for a purge.

Be sure to check the dates on everything and toss out anything that has gone bad. Replace baking soda boxes that help to eliminate odors.

In addition to the one mentioned in the challenge, our basic “go-to” cleaner in the Langford home is vinegar and water mixed together in a clean spray bottle. Add a few drops of sweet orange oil for a clean, citrus scent.

(Pictures coming tomorrow)

No comments: