Friday, January 20, 2012

Frugal Friday ~ The Thrifty List

I don’t recall ever being in a thrift store or at a yard sale until I met my husband. He introduced me to a whole new world of thriftiness before it was cool! Now, I am a thriftaholic. I plan my thrifty shopping trips around the Goodwill half price weekends and prime yard sale time is a whole other season all it’s own in my house.



Our kids even get in on the action. Yard sale shopping is called “treasure hunting” because you never know what treasure you will find. Our oldest daughter did all of her Christmas shopping this past year at a weekly indoor yard sale at our homeschool co-op.



The only problem I have ever had with yard sale and thrift store shopping is getting so caught up in the “stuff” that I forget what I am really looking for. I get home and then remember a great craft or repurposing project that I could have bought the materials for at just pennies if I had remembered.

My new plan is to keep a running list. I keep one on my fridge for the items we run out of in the kitchen just in case someone makes an extra trip to the grocery store. The list is easy to access in the kitchen with a pencil nearby and easy for the person running out to the store to rip off and take along.

I am hoping the same thing will work with my thrift store shopping. I have posted my list on my hand-dandy organizer from 31 Gifts. This organizer hangs right in front of my computer where I find most of my crafting and repurposing ideas on Pinterest.



You can order one of these great organizers from my friend Tracy's website here.

Our computer is also located in the center of our home and the desk has a supply of pens. This should work!!

Whenever I see an item that I could make or am reminded that there is an item that we are in need of for the house, I just add it to the list. When I go to the thrift store, I have a specific list of items I am sure to check for. If I find them, great! If not, they stay on the list until the next trip.

No comments: